Friday 26 July 2013

Lessons from the school year



Last day of school-
Whispers of excitement with a hint of uncertainty filled our assembly ground as the students awaited their report cards. They stood outside, anxiously waiting while we decided on who and who were going through to the next class. Deciding on a fair passmark was quite tough; 50% was out of the question. So, we considered 40%, but soon settled for 30 after realising that 40 might put more than half of the school at risk of repeating a class. So, 30% it was. If you were able to score 30% or higher in at least 5 subjects, you were put through to the next class. You can be sure that each class still had at least 3 students repeating, though.

Anyway, it was finally time. The moment of truth had come. We handed out the report cards and within minutes the atmosphere was transformed. Call them lucky or whatever you want, most of the students were content with just barely scaling through. I spotted one of my brighter students and asked to see his report card, and he proudly obliged. I congratulated him on a job well done and before you knew it, his mates had gathered around me. In that moment I was reminded of how much we all crave approval and support. His mates wanted me to be proud of them, too; shake them, hug them, notice their efforts. So, I checked out some other report cards and commended the efforts of the ones who had done exceptionally well, and for the ones who had just barely made it through, i advised them to work harder next term. Then, I spotted a few teary eyes, and I immediately knew they had been introduced to one of life's vital lessons- actions have repercussions. I tried to feel bad for these students who had to repeat a class but I just wasn't able to attain the height of empathy required in that moment because I know how unserious most of them had been during the school year. What's funny-and my fellow teachers would agree- is that it's not that these children don't have it in them to do well, it's that they refuse to make use of their resources-we their teachers-, they refuse to revise what they are taught, and some just show up to school whenever they feel like. After all, it's free, eh?

During the school year-
It was first from my JSS3 students that I learnt that for help to be accepted, it must first be desired. Before they started their Basic Education Certification Examination (BECE), I approached them with my desire to give them some free of charge after-school English lessons, which they swore they appreciated and would never miss. Long story short, a couple of weeks after we started, only 2 students were left in the class. 

With my JSS1 and 2's, here's how a typical class period would look like: I explain what adjectives are in English AND Yoruba just to make sure that much more than just knowing the definition, the students understand the meaning. My students would swear they understand. "Any questions?", "No" would be their default answer. Each class I'd stress the importance of asking questions where there is confusion, reminding them that asides teaching, my job is also to ensure that they understand  what they've been taught. Every class after my sermon, we'd work on some examples (related to what I have taught them; in this case, we'll stick with adjectives) and you find that Bode still thinks 'is' or 'book' is an adjective. The simple reason for this is that Bode refused to ask questions when he had the chance. I'd correct Bode, yet tomorrow, Bode will make the same mistake because after he got home that day, he did not revise what he had learnt in school. 

Filled with laughs and interesting encounters, this was definitely a good term for me. Through the caning and the scolding I often dish out to them, and the 'tabon's they constantly throw at me, these kids are already growing on me. I look forward to a better term next term and I'm curious to see if the results of this term would have an effect on the kids' attitude towards school next year.


PS: It's a town, not a village! :P

1 comment:

  1. Chai! This pic of your school ehn?! And I thought Ikolaba was bad. Well, the Lord is your strength. 30% pass mark?? Lol. Wicked teacher- you no even fit sympathize? Haha!
    Teaching English with Yoruba, are we? Bad guy!!

    ReplyDelete