Monday 15 July 2013

They say, "when in Rome..."


Today, I wove my hair, something I hadn't done in over a decade. I initially did it to give my hair a break from hair extensions but I later realised that living in Iwo might have also had something to do with the decision. I think that being out here has allowed me comfortably embrace my inner villager and just be free. Sure, it was first about wanting to take care of my hair but also, the fact that I'm in Iwo and not Lagos, made it an easier thing to do. I find myself crossing the street with my wrapper and "dunlop slippers", and all sorts of funny things I wouldn't dare do in Lagos for fear of being called crazy. Things that are too "razz" for us city people. The other day, I saw my friend brushing his teeth with a 'pako' (pictured above). When I asked whatever happened to his toothbrush, his response was "I just felt like doing things this way today"; an idea he wouldn't dare explore if he were back home in Benin. 
My conclusion from all this was that, being out here is allowing us be free and explore a lifestyle we aren't used to, and what makes it easy is that we are around people who aren't exposed enough to find us uncool or "razz".

Rocking the 'shuku eyin'.



PS: It's a town, not a village! :P


3 comments:

  1. "I think that being out here has allowed me comfortably embrace my inner villager and just be free" emphasis on the VILLAGER and yet you say "It's a town,not a VILLAGE". *smh*
    I like the piece though. Everyone needs some form of rural adventure.
    Go girl!!!
    Camp Bestie *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha Eniang, you got me there. Shoot!

    ReplyDelete